Paper Power! 10.3.2015
Paper Power 2015
What: A competition for Memphis high school students to create innovative structures made from only recycled paper products
When: October 3, 2015 as part of the US Green Building Council’s National "Green Apple Day of Service"
Where: Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library (3030 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN 38111)
Teams: 2‐7 area high school aged students per team, with 1‐2 adult/professional sponsors.
Team members do not have to be from the same high school
Proceeds: All proceeds will go toward furthering recycling education in Memphis
Registration: begins August 17th
* Send completed form to email@example.com.
* No registration fee
* View Rules & Regulations
* View Registration Form
NEW IN 2015 - PAPER POWER PROFESSIONAL DIVISION - Grab a few coworkers and create a team to represent your company.
Download Professional Division registration form HERE
* Student participants receive FREE event t-shirts!
"The Green Apple Day of Service gives parents, teachers, students, companies and local organizations the opportunity to transform all schools into healthy, safe and productive learning environments through local service projects."
- To work together, exploring creative ways to reuse unwanted materials
- To educate the public about paper: its origins, physical properties, and how it is recycled
- To raise awareness of the amount of waste produced
- To teach students about design, architecture, and construction techniques
- Juror’s Favorite
- Structural Integrity
- Hi-tech Design
- Best Signage
- Honorable Mention
- People’s Choice (public will be able to vote for 3 weeks after event)
- All structures will be judged by a panel of community and design professionals
- Prizes and trophies will be presented to the winner of each category. The trophies will be designed and hand-crafted out of local reclaimed materials solely for this competition.
- August 17: Registration Opens
- August 26: Team meeting and information session; 5:30pm @ Central Library
- September 28: *EXTENDED* Registration Deadline & structure ideas due digitally
- October 2nd: Preview Party & T-shirt pick up! 5:30pm @ Central Library
- October 3: Green Apple Day of Service: Paper Power!
- 10 a.m. - 3 p.m: Construction
- 3-4 p.m: Judging
- 4-5 p.m: Awards Ceremony
- October 4 - October 24: Public Viewing & Voting for People’s Choice
- October 24 Recycle Day & Presentation of People's Choice Award