Paper Power! 9.27.2014
Paper Power 2014
What: A competition for Memphis high school students to create innovative structures made from only recycled paper products
When: September 27, 2014 as part of the US Green Building Council’s National "Green Apple Day of Service"
Where: Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library (3030 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN 38111)
Teams: 2‐7 area high school aged students per team, with 1‐2 adult/professional sponsors. Team members do not have to be from the same high school
Proceeds: All proceeds will go toward furthering recycling education in Memphis
All paper products used in the formation of structures will be sent to our recycling sponsor for recycling and reuse after the competition has ended
Registration: CLICK HERE to view the form.
* Send completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* No registration fee
* View Rules & Regulations
* View Emergency Waiver
* Participants receive FREE event t-shirts!
"The Green Apple Day of Service gives parents, teachers, students, companies and local organizations the opportunity to transform all schools into healthy, safe and productive learning environments through local service projects."
- To work together, exploring creative ways to reuse unwanted materials
- To educate the public about paper: its origins, physical properties, and how it is recycled
- To raise awareness of the amount of waste produced
- To teach students about design, architecture, and construction techniques
- Juror’s Favorite
- Structural Integrity
- Most Innovative Design
- Best Signage
- Honorable Mention
- People’s Choice (public will be able to vote for 3 weeks after event)
- All structures will be judged by a panel of community and design professionals
- Prizes and trophies will be presented to the winner of each category. The trophies will be designed and hand-crafted out of local reclaimed materials solely for this competition.
Schedule: REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
- September 11: Team meeting and information session; 5:30pm @ Central Library
- September 19: Registration Deadline & structure ideas due digitally
- September 27: Green Apple Day of Service: Paper Power!
- 10 a.m. - 3 p.m: Construction
- 3-4 p.m: Judging
- 4-5 p.m: Awards Ceremony
- September 27-October 18: Public Viewing & Voting for People’s Choice
- October 18: Recycle Day & Presentation of People's Choice Award