Paper Power! 9.24.2016
-The Fourth Annual Paper Power Event-
What: A competition for Memphis high school students to create innovative structures made from only recycled paper products
When: September 24, 2016 as part of the US Green Building Council’s National "Green Apple Day of Service"
Where: Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library (3030 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN 38111)
Teams: 2‐7 area high school aged students per team, with 1‐2 adult/professional sponsors.
Team members do not have to be from the same high school
Proceeds: All proceeds will go toward furthering recycling education in Memphis
Registration: begins August 10th
* Send completed form to email@example.com
* No registration fee
* View Rules & Regulations
* View Registration Form
Check out all of our previous winners here
PAPER POWER PROFESSIONAL DIVISION IS BACK! - Grab a few coworkers and create a team to represent your company.
Download Professional Division registration form HERE
* Student participants receive FREE event t-shirts!
"The Green Apple Day of Service gives parents, teachers, students, companies and local organizations the opportunity to transform all schools into healthy, safe and productive learning environments through local service projects."
- To work together, exploring creative ways to reuse unwanted materials
- To educate the public about paper: its origins, physical properties, and how it is recycled
- To raise awareness of the amount of waste produced
- To teach students about design, architecture, and construction techniques
Student Competition Categories:
- Juror’s Favorite
- Structural Integrity
- Hi-tech Design
- Best Signage
- Honorable Mention
Professionals Competition Categories:
- First Place
- Second Place
- Third Place
Students vs. Professionals Competition Categories:
- Green Trivia (new this year!)
- All structures will be judged by a panel of community and design professionals
- Prizes and trophies will be presented to the winner of each category. The trophies will be designed and hand-crafted out of local reclaimed materials solely for this competition.
- August 10: Registration Opens
- August 17: Team meeting and information session; 5:30pm @ Central Library
- September 9: Registration Deadline & structure ideas due digitally
- September 23: Preview Party & T-shirt pick up!
- September 24: Green Apple Day of Service: Paper Power!
- 10 a.m. - 3 p.m: Construction
- 3-4 p.m: Judging & Green Trivia (new this year!)
- 4-5 p.m: Awards Ceremony
- September 24 - October 8: Public Viewing
- October 8 Recycle Day